Friday, December 4, 2009

lots of updates

The last few weeks have been so busy! With Thanksgiving, and trying to get some work done so I can really enjoy a nice Christmas break, it's just been kind of crazy. I'm SO glad it's Christmastime though, and have done some work on filling our place with a little Christmas cheer.





We still don't have a Christmas tree. Our original idea was to get a real tree at this place, because how awesome does this sound: "Enjoy the Christmas experience, after choosing and cutting your special tree, take a hayride back to the Christmas cabin.  Inside we offer hot apple cider to warm you up while you browse through our beautiful Christmas ornaments and items. "


But then we started thinking about how much easier it would be to just get a pre-lit tree. Considering Christmas is only 20 days away, and I have a Hobby Lobby bag full of ornaments, I guess we better decide fast!


What else have I been up to on my blogging hiatus? Well, finding other great blogs to read, of course. Check this one out, Iowa Girl Eats. Kristin, the blogger there, is all about healthy eating/cooking, and is always putting up great recipes. She makes this breakfast thing called "Overnight Oats." It looks delish, and I'm itching to try it. It's about time for the Mr. and I to make our next grocery run, and I'll be getting the ingredients to test first hand.


The last few weeks I tried several recipes I found on EatingWell.com. I love the recipes on this site because they give you all the calories, fat, etc. content for the meals. Some of them were pretty good, others were not my fav, or need adjusting. I tried wheat pasta this time around, and I just don't like it too much. Maybe I didn't buy the right brand? Anyway, here are the recipes I tested:


This one was really delicious, but I made it pretty different than the recipe. Instead of Proscuitto, I cut up ham in thin slices and added some bacon and mushrooms. And instead of Argula I was going to use Spinach, but what I had wasn't good anymore, so we just went without the greens. BUT, even with the adjustments (or maybe because of them?) it was really great.


Kyle and I both loved this one, but I went for regular pasta instead of wheat this time. I had never had eggplant before, but it was yummy!


I served shredded sweet potatoes with a little butter and brown sugar with this. The chicken and potatoes were pretty good, but next time I might use a different, more flavorful, cheese.


This was Kyle's absolute favorite, and I have to say I really liked it too. I made homemade sweet potato fries to go with this, and instead of rye bread, I put the patties on the sandwich whole wheat thins. Yum!


This was my least favorite. I also made this first, and used wheat pasta. I just felt like there wasn't a lot of flavor to it.




I made this one last night, and it was OK. I think I would like it a lot better with a cheese other than goat cheese. It's so tangy, it kind of overwhelmed the tastes of all the fresh veggies. But, look at how yummy these veggies look:





One of my favorite recipes is this one, and I think it's time to make it again. Add that to the grocery list!


This weekend I'm hoping to tackle some Christmas shopping. Kyle's Christmas list was complete with a "chimpanzee that knows karate" and a "Baron 58 P (325)" which is a $300,000 airplane, so I'm hoping I can find some more realistic things to get him. Wish me luck!


Hope you are enjoying the start of the Christmas season!

0 comments:

Post a Comment